Welcome to our page!
The Education Act of 1998 gives a legislative basis for the existence, recognition and purpose of a Parent Association. It states that:
- A Parent Association is the structure through which the parents/guardians in a school can work together for the best possible education for their children.
- The Parent Association works with the Principal, staff and the Board of Management to build effective partnership between home and school.
- Educational research on the involvement of parents in schools shows that children achieve better outcomes when parents and teachers work together.
One of the main functions of the Parents and Guardians Association here in St. Margaret’s National School, Curracloe, is to help fund some of the “extras” for the children in the school.
Current Committee Members
Below are the committee members for the current school year 2016/2017
Chairperson – Aileen Ormonde
Secretary – Rob McCormack
Treasuer – Norma Breen
Committee Members – Eoin O’Doherty, Theresa Roche, Caroline Harding Kenny, Edel Moran, Liz Cullen.
In order to raise funds, we organise different events and activities during the year. The main fundraising activities are; Bag Packing in Dunnes, two clothing collections and a school calendar. We ran a successful table quiz last year and hope to fit in a 5k fun run next year.
The Parents and Guardians Committee have funded the below listed events and resources recently:
- New ipads
- Upgrading the whiteboards
- Purchasing musical instruments & contributing to music lessons in the school
- Contributing to bus trips and school outings
- Providing refreshments for both communion and confirmation
- New books for the school
- Toys for the infant room
- Christmas Parties in Hotel Curracloe with a special visit from Santa, disco, face painting and a little gift for all the children
- Providing BBQ / Chips & Burgers and an ice-cream van for the school sports day
The Parents and Guardians Association would always welcome new committee members and would be delighted if any parent or guardian is willing to spare an hour or two of their time. Please speak to any of the committee members listed above for details on how you can help and check our website regularly for upcoming events and fundraisers.